Founded in 2006
Puntland Human Rights Association (PHRA) is an independent, non-governmental, non-partisan, and not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of human rights protection in Puntland. PHRA was founded in December 2006.
Puntland Human Rights Association (PHRA) is human rights watchdog working on advocacy of human rights, democracy and peace in Puntland Federal State of Somalia.
Headquarter of Puntland Human Rights Association (PHRA) is Bosaso district, coastal town of Puntland Federal State of Somalia and has representatives in Garowe.
- To monitor the human rights violence, documenting and then report it.
- To promote democracy education through provision of information and learning experience in order to equip the citizens to participate in democracy processes.
- To support human rights cultural, social and political tolerance for all through awareness rising campaigns, mobilization activities on attitude changes.
- To encourage respect for the rule of law, justice for all and the independence of the judiciary,
- To strength good governance system of Somalia through helping to put in place transparency and accountability system of government with higher contribute of CSOs members.
- To promote internal discussions among human rights activists, on the work of media and journalists toward contribute to national heal and development
PHRA's Vision and Mission
Society has peace and Respect human rights
The organization strives to ensure that everyone gets protection, provision and participation in Puntland through advocacy, lobbying, education training, capacity.
Our Core Values
- The promotion of deep respect and appreciation for everyone.
- Acting in a very responsive, rapid, flexible manner
- A result-oriented organization, with tangible impact.
- Acting independently, with creativity, impartiality and integrity.
- Operating with dedication, professionalism, transparency and accountability.
With an objective to systematise Puntland Human Rights Association (PHRA) management system, various policies and guideline papers have been prepared in order to describe the policies and procedures that relate to the operation of PHRA’s programs. These intend to be an easy reference and interpretation of program policies and procedures.
The staff/members/concerns of PHRA have to follow the policies and procedures in the implementation process. The policies and procedures are as
1) Financial Policy Manual,
2) Human Resource Policy
3) Procurement policy.
The intention of the policies is to maintain systematic discipline, to have an appropriate and effective control over utilization of resources within the federation and practice of accountability and efficiency. These are prepared for adopting the participatory approaches like organizing meetings with the staff and members of PHRA board, management team and also collecting comments/feedbacks.
During the preparation of these policies and procedures attention has been given towards the PHRA’s objectives/strategies, and country’s rules and regulations both Federal and State levels.